How Much Commercial Insurance is Needed in CT?

Connecticut businesses are required to carry two types of insurance – workers’ compensation and commercial auto insurance. Specifically for workers’ compensation insurance, any Connecticut business with employees – regardless of being part or full-time – are required to carry this coverage. Workers’ compensation insurance helps pay the medical bills incurred because of a workplace injury or illness. The only exception to this policy is if the person is a household employee such as a caregiver or housekeeper. If these individuals work less than 26 hours per week, workers’ compensation insurance is not mandated. The second type of insurance, commercial auto insurance, is required for any business-owned vehicle. Businesses must carry at least the below minimum liability coverage:

  • $25,000 bodily injury liability per person
  • $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident
  • $25,000 property damage liability per accident
  • $25,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage per person
  • $50,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage per accident

If you require your employees to use their personal vehicles for business use such as a delivery driver then their personal auto policy is unlikely to provide coverage should they be in an accident. Consequently, although it is not required, you should strongly consider covering their vehicles with hired and non-owned auto insurance. Additionally, if your business is in the trucking industry there may be additional requirements that you need to consider and have to comply with Connecticut regulations.

If you own a business in Connecticut and are struggling to find commercial insurance, look no further than the friendly team at the Brent Young Agency LLC. Conveniently located in Manchester, CT we offer a plethora of insurance options and can answer any of your lingering questions. Give us a call today or stop by our office to learn more about our insurance offerings.