What types of coverage does home insurance provide?

Home insurance is not just one type of insurance. A traditional home policy has four different types of coverage. You get property coverage, content cover, liability coverage, and loss of use coverage. Read your policy carefully to make sure that it includes all four. At Brent Young Agency LLC in Manchester, CT, we have a full-service independent insurance agency that has been serving customers throughout the state since 1990. 

Liability coverage

The world is full of things that can damage you financially and having the correct amount of liability insurance makes the difference between saving your assets and losing everything you have worked so hard for. Be sure that you have the right amount of liability coverage. Not having enough is a bad mistake. 

Loss of use

If your house is damaged to such a degree that it is not habitable, you will need a place to stay. Depending on the length of time you will be homeless, you may stay in a hotel for a short stay, but for longer times, a rental home may be the best option. In the short term, meals may also be covered. 


The physical structure of your home is protected from a variety of different hazards. It covers the roof, chimney, walls, basement, porch, deck and garage. It also covers detached structures on your property like a shed or casita. 


All of your personal possessions are also covered, though some items like art or jewelry have limits. If you have expensive things, you may need a rider. You can choose a replacement cost or current value when it comes to your content. The current value allows for depreciation when determining the value. You may not get enough to replace some items. 

Contact Brent Young Agency LLC in Manchester, CT when you are ready to discuss your home insurance.